Current Rice faculty, staff & students, retired staff and faculty emeritus (with active Rice NetID) may borrow items not owned by Fondren Library via Interlibrary loan or through On-Site ILL. Interlibrary loan items are borrowed through Fondren from an outside library. Users receive e-mail notification that an item can be picked up at Fondren once a loan has been obtained. Alternately, users may visit and obtain material directly from participating On-Site ILL libraries. Please see Services>Interlibrary Loan (ILL) for more details.
Understand your borrowing responsibilities, loan periods and associated fines with a Rice ID.
- Fines are charged for overdue items.
- Pay fines by cash or check at the circulation desk. After 4-6 weeks, all students' charges are sent to the Cashier's Office.
- The cost of any lost or damaged items, and a non-refundable $40 processing fee per item will be charged to your account.
- Students: any unpaid fines and charges may prevent you from obtaining your diploma and transcripts.
- Charges of $5.00 or more will prevent online renewals and self-checkouts.
- Overdue items will also prevent online renewals.
- You may view all charges and overdue items on your library account.
Even if you're not affiliated with Rice University directly, you can still borrow items from Fondren Library. Visit our Community Borrowers page to see if you are eligible to borrow items through these local institutions.